Well i haven’t seen the eggs since i photographed them or any signs of larvae, but the ants are taking more food back to the nest. There hasn’t really been an increase in activity out side of the nest either, but i am hoping that there are larvae in the spaces between the old and new nest. The ants were trying to fill the gap with wet sand so i helped them out and sealed the gap with plaster. Its so annoying not being able to see…
Yesterday i forced the colony to move into a new nest, it was the Crystacast Plaster nest that i had previously made for the M.barbarus, they moved last week into a new y-tong nest. I raised the temps to about 82f and it was’nt long before they decided to move, taking their brood with them. I had thought of just giving them a wider test tube as the conditions seem to be just right, but they would need something better latter anyway. I’ve just got to hope that they are happy in their new home.
Over the weekend i decided to give the ants a new nest. It was the one i had made for my Canponotus fellah as they are still living in their test tube. I wanted the old nest for my C. singularis as its nearly time for them to expand. I took the heat away and uncovered the old nest to encourage them to move. It took about 2 days for them to move out, taking with them all their stores.
It did’nt take long for the ants to spot the gap i had accidently left, and quickly moved into the space under the false floor. Grrrrrrr!!
Finally the first eggs i have spotted since the queen stopped laying in late January, earlier this year. It is really good to see she is laying again after a break of about 5 months. I have not made any changes except for taking the small heat pad away from the side of the nest a few weeks ago. I noticed last night that the ants had taken away a cricket, which previously they had been ignoring, so there may also be some small larvae i can’t see in the nest too.
So here is the complete set up @ 15 months old, nothing to exciting yet but it works. I want to move them out of this nest soon as i have it marked out for my C. singularis. The arena is not heated at the moment and hovers around 22c, it’s much busier at night. I have tried some banana jelly but they are not interested in this. Also the sugar water is accepted and of course drinking water in the tube. Keeping it in the tube stops the ants from covering it with sand. Last night they took five large crickets and there is no sign of them now. The roach my wife just found walking across the floor in the front room ooops, i’m in the dog house again 🙂