I have finally made my ants their new nest and decided to use Crystacast Plaster as it sets like concrete, hopefully it wont be so easy for the ants to chew their way out. It better not as this stuff is expensive. I used a small faunarium and made the negative impessions for the tunnels from play dough that i had made from flour and salt earlier. That bit was fun. I then coated the sides of the faunarium with vedgeatable oil so the plaster would come out easier and then went to mix the plaster. Right, ready to pour the plaster in and ….BUGGER!!!!, the oil had caused the play dough to slide down into a heap to the bottom. I had to quickly chuck it all out and start again but the plaster was already setting, i added some more water twice, formed the tunnels and in a panic, poured in the plaster. Well it didnt look to good but useable. Crystacast Plaster sets like rock in about half an hour and is very heavy, infact it was setting as i was pouring it and had to make a bit more to finish it off. Anyway, next time ill know .
I wanted to use the whole box for the nest , the first part was to put in the water reserve. Also at the back the entrance and air vent.
The playdough forming the tunnels.
After the plasters been poured and cleaned.
Entrance and vent
Connected to original arena.
I took the cover of the RG’s and the ants very quickly began moving their seed stores to the new nest. I don’t think the queen has moved yet but all seems good.