After comming back from my weeks holiday i was looking forward to seeing the progression of the fungus, but sadly it had shrunk I also have lost quite a few ants and the ones that i do have seem very lethargic and just standing about. They are still cutting leaves however and today i took a photo through the glass arena and the plastic bottle top that house the fungus in so sorry for the quality. A nice suprise though to see loads of small larvae on the fungus I wonder if this is the reason for the shrinkage ? if so the ants are going to have to work harder……..
They are dumping the leaves next to the fungus and the minute ones are messing with them but not taking them further. I suppose they must be just taking particles as there are tiny specs of green on the fungus. I put a nastursham flower in and there were little specs of orange on the fungus but you really had to look close. Yesterday i changed the lay out, i raised the ceramic tile the fungus is on higher by 4 and took the rest out and replaced with hyrolica, which are small clay balls used in horticulture to keep up humidity and added more water. The RH was already + 91 so i probably havent gained anything from doing this. Now i can’t see through the glass because of the condensation GRRRRRrrrrrrr…..
Shortly after this the ants began to die very quickly, i can only imagine that i had given them something which contained pesticides